East Rock Creek Village
Volunteers are the sustaining force of East Rock Creek Village, for it is their helping hands that allow our members to age in place in their homes with dignity and grace. Volunteers also carry the positive message of the village throughout the upper Ward 4 communities we serve.
Join with your neighbors to give a ride, help grocery shop, take a walk or share a special skill.
Volunteers may be any adult who shares our belief in the mission of the Village. Many members become volunteers, but it is not necessary that a member become a volunteer. Our goal is to ensure that volunteering itself is a rewarding and satisfying experience. As in most Villages, we expect that many of our members will serve as volunteers.
ERCV carries liability insurance that protects staff, directors, and volunteers.
Volunteers are Trained and Supported
If you wish to become a volunteer, you must:
- Meet with a member of the Volunteer Committee
- Submit all the necessary paperwork
- Attend a 2-hour in-person or online training session
- Be fully vaccinated & boosted
ERCV pays for a background check on all volunteers. In addition, volunteer drivers are required to have a valid driver's license and current automobile insurance.
Volunteer Opportunities - ERCV wants to use the talents and great ideas of our volunteers!
These are some of the services we provide for members. Volunteers or members may think of other services that would be beneficial.
- Transportation to medical appointments, social and educational events or programs, grocery stores and other errands.
- In-home assistance such as friendly visits, check in calls, simple repairs, snow shoveling, helping with clutter
- Convenience services such as mailing packages, running errands, organizing files and paperwork, checking on houses when members are away, temporary dog walking or cat feeding, waiting for delivery or service repairmen, picking up mail or newspapers
- Technology assistance
- Gardening advice and help
- Medical note taking at a doctor visit
- Short term respite care to a family caregiver of a village member who is being cared for at home
There are some opportunities for volunteers to lead and manage village activities
- Hosting cultural, educational and social gatherings
- Planning cultural, educational and social gatherings
- Planning our annual fundraising event
- Planning our annual member meeting
- Office administrative support
General Expectations of Volunteers
Volunteers will be expected to adhere to our code of ethics, including:
- Declining any gifts or tips that might be offered
- Attending training sessions and volunteer meetings
- Consulting with the village Volunteer Coordinator or office staff before assuming new responsibilities
- Being prompt and reliable when reporting for an assignment
- Always carrying the ERCV identification card and showing it when meeting a member for the first time
- Always guarding confidential information about members, including age, gender, name, address, career, or other personally-identifying information.
Eligibility and Requirements
Volunteers will need to complete an application and attend a training session as required. All volunteers undergo a criminal background check and if a person volunteers as a driver, he or she must have a valid driver’s license, have a properly registered vehicle, and must have his or her own automobile insurance coverage. For the safety of members, the village will check the driving records of volunteer drivers.
Volunteers will be able to designate the tasks they are willing to perform and the days and times they are available. Volunteers may be asked to perform other tasks needed by the village but must always feel free to decline an assignment.
INTERESTED IN BCOMING AN ERCV VOLUNTEER? SIGN UP HERE
East Rock Creek Village, 7707 13th Street NW, Washington, DC 20012
(202) 656-7322 - firstname.lastname@example.org